Identifying unincorporated Areas in the ACS

We are trying to create tables showing the percent of income spent on housing costs( e.g. Table  B25101)  for unincorporated areas in Colorado.  I was wondering if anyone has tried to do this.

One approach we thought of was a "top-down" method of taking the difference between the county estimates and the estimates derived from the incorporated area (taking municipalities that are in more than one county into account through the use of the "Place/Remainder" geography from data.census.gov)

Another approach would be to use a "bottom-up" method that classified block groups according to their incorporated or unincorporated status.   The issue here is developing the criteria for classifying "partially incorporated" block groups.

I would appreciate any ideas about how one might approach this problem.

TIA

AB

Parents
  • Another quirk might be townships which are another sumlev -- 060 -- county subdivisions I believe. In some areas they include village and cities which are incorporated, but the townships or towns themselves are not usually considered incorporated although they are a subcounty level of government with elected officials. Can cause confusion. 

• Another quirk might be townships which are another sumlev -- 060 -- county subdivisions I believe. In some areas they include village and cities which are incorporated, but the townships or towns themselves are not usually considered incorporated although they are a subcounty level of government with elected officials. Can cause confusion. 

Children
No Data