Poverty Dashboard - any feedback is appreciated

I have two poverty dashboards based on ACS5 data, one has a state filter, one just a full listing of counties. No prior year because of COVID etc, so I'll wait till 2022 comes out and put 2022 vs 2021 data in. I might put in a little more effort, but I also want a housing dashboard, gov programs (SSI, UI,SNAP etc.), Race, Grandparents and maybe a few more. Not looking for perfect, but just some good recaps.What I really hoped to find when I first look for Census data. They both look about the same so I'm only posting one.

https://public.tableau.com/views/Poverty_by_County2/Poverty_by_County?:language=en-US&publish=yes&:display_count=n&:origin=viz_share_link

Thanks!

Parents
  • It might be helpful to know who your prospective audience and use case for this is. It's helpful that you provided baseline US numbers for context (state might be useful as well). I'd consider including counts in addition to percents; more people (or is it households?) in poverty live in Contra Costa County, CA (at 8.2%) than Trinity County, CA (at 22.5%). And it would be helpful to have definitions of your columns (what does "H" mean? Are these households or individuals?) I don't think the "Key Diff" columns are necessary, since they essentially repeat information already provided. Also, from a policy perspective, I've never found the Gini index to be useful at a local level (as opposed to national). Higher wealth disparities (seems bad) is another way of saying less wealth segregation (seems good).

Also as a reminder, you shouldn't compare 5-year estimates with overlapping years (ie. you can compare 2018-2022 with 2013-2017, but not with 2017-2022). You're essentially comparing the sample of the last year of one estimate with that of the first year of the other, and it's too small a sample to be significant.

• MOEs should be reported, too. 

Reply Children
No Data