ACS data download at zip code level

Could someone point out the URL for downloading the ACS either single year or 5-year average data at the zip code level?  There are about 45000 zip codes in the US so I expect to see the data file with about 45000 rows.

Thank you!

Min

Parents
  • Thank you very much, Peter. I was able to obtain the zip level info with your super clear instruction.

I am curious to know how many total number of zip codes I should expect in the US. I thought it is about 45,000s, but I only got 33,000s. Would you have any insight on this?

Appreciate your reply and information!

Min
  • Below is a short description from Census of how they create ZCTAs (From the link I included above). I've highlighted the two main reasons that some ZIP codes do not appear in the universe of ZCTAs. I am not sure whether or not that explains the entire discrepancy between the total number of ZIP codes and the total number of ZCTAs.

------------------------
    The Census Bureau first examined all of the addresses within each census block to define the list of ZIP Codes by block. Next, the most frequently occurring ZIP Code within each block was assigned to the entire census block as a preliminary ZCTA code. After all of the census blocks with addresses were assigned a preliminary ZCTA code, blocks were aggregated by code to create larger areas.

The Census Bureau assigned blocks that contained addresses, but did not have a single most frequently occurring ZIP Code to the ZCTA with which the blocks had the longest shared boundary.

If the area of an unassigned enclave was less than two square miles, it was assigned to the surrounding ZCTA. The Census Bureau used block group boundaries to identify and group unassigned blocks. These unassigned blocks were merged into an adjacent ZCTA based on the length of shared boundary.

For the Census 2000 ZCTAs the Census Bureau created ZCTAs that ended in "XX" to represent large areas of land without ZIP Codes or "HH" to represent large areas of water without ZIP Codes. For the 2010 Census, large water bodies and large unpopulated land areas do not have ZCTAs.

ZCTAs were created using residential and nonresidential ZIP Codes that are available in the Census Bureau’s MAF/TIGER database. ZIP Codes assigned to businesses only or single delivery point address will not necessarily appear as ZCTAs.

In most instances the ZCTA code is the same as the ZIP Code for an area.

In creating ZCTAs, the Census Bureau took the most frequently occurring ZIP Code in an area for the ZCTA code. Some addresses will end up with a ZCTA code different from their ZIP Code.

Some ZIP Codes represent very few addresses (sometimes only one) and therefore will not appear in the ZCTA universe.

• That explained the difference.

Thank you, Peter.

Min
Reply Children
No Data