children in poverty by race

I’m looking for children in poverty, by race, by county, in New York State.

I found the b17020 set, for example, b17020a, poverty status in the past 12 months (White alone), showing by age group.

But this set has one table for each race group. Is there any table that has children (under 18) in poverty by county, showing all the race groups in a single table? I’d be looking for number of children in poverty. I could also use percent of children, but only if the percent showed data like this: of all White children under 18 in the county, percent who were in poverty. Of all Black or African American children under 18 in the county, percent who were in poverty. Of all Asian children under 18 in the county, percent who were in poverty. And so on.

Thanks

Gene

NYS DOH

Parents
  • Dear Gene,

Many ACS "B" tables have separate tables broken out by race (e.g. age x sex). There are age x sex tables for each race , "Black","White","Asian" etc. (and Hispanic ethnicity). Your need to write a computer program to "stack" the tables for each individual race to get a  "Above/Below Poverty" by race table with "child" as the universe. I am not very good with Excel, but maybe you can do it with Excell.  You can definitely stack tables with Microsoft Access https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/access  I use the R statistics package for my analysis of ACS data.  I don't know if or how you can "stack" tables in data.census.gov .But there might be a person who know how to do it and who can respond to this post.

Dave Dorer

• If you are using Windows and if you have a Microsoft-365 package you might have "Access" installed on your machine already.

Reply Children
No Data