Disability Data ACS5 2019

Hey all,

I'm new to ACS, and I hope I can get the community's help to better understand my way around ACS.

I'm doing research on disability in the US, looking for the following fields:  

B18101_001E - SEX BY AGE BY DISABILITY STATUS
B18102_001E - SEX BY AGE BY HEARING DIFFICULTY
B18103_001E - SEX BY AGE BY VISION DIFFICULTY
B18104_001E - SEX BY AGE BY COGNITIVE DIFFICULTY
B18105_001E - SEX BY AGE BY AMBULATORY DIFFICULTY
B18106_001E - SEX BY AGE BY SELF-CARE DIFFICULTY
B18107_001E - SEX BY AGE BY INDEPENDENT LIVING DIFFICULTY
C18108_001E - AGE BY NUMBER OF DISABILITIES

When I tried to retrieve the field at the state, region, and county level via ACS's API, I got the numbers, but when I tried to get the same information at the block group level, I got only None for all of the 8 fields above (for any state). This is the call I made to the API:

api.census.gov/.../acs5 group:*&in=state:01 county:*&key=MY_API_KEY

I was wondering:

1. Can I even get this information on the block group level? Is there any other table that holds this data for 2019 - acs5?
2. Is there any document containing the level of availability for each variable?
3. Is there a dictionary specifying how each variable is measured? (For example, can an individual be listed in more than one category above? )

Thank you all for your help!!!

Parents
  • "Is there a dictionary specifying how each variable is measured?"

The ACS Subject Definitions (available here) are the most relevant docs for this question. There's a paragraph on each of the disability types.

Re: availability by block group, only 376 of the 1140 2020 5-year detailed tables included block group data, and that's about the same in all 5-year releases. Sirisha linked to the relevant doc ("Appendix B") that identifies which tables have block group data. Another option: using the NHGIS Data Finder, select filters for Block Groups and your 5-year period of interest. Then it'll list only those tables that have block group data.

• For the "difficulty" questions I would look at the ACS form/questionnaire, which is mailed to households.  https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/methodology/questionnaires/2022/quest22.pdf   And think about how you would answer the questions for yourself or your family members.  For example:

Is this person deaf or does he/she have serious diffculty hearing?

Because of a physical, mental, or emotional condition, does this person have serious difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions?

From Jonathan's reference: https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs/tech_docs/subject_definitions/2021_ACSSubjectDefinitions.pdf

In an attempt to capture a variety of characteristics that encompass the definition of disability, the ACS identifies serious difficulty with four basic areas of functioning – hearing, vision, cognition, and ambulation. These functional limitations are supplemented by questions about difficulties with selected activities from the Katz Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and Lawton Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADL) scales, namely difficulty bathing and dressing, and difficulty performing errands such as shopping. Overall, the ACS attempts to capture six aspects of disability, which can be used together to create an overall disability measure, or independently to identify populations with specific disability types.

If you are using these questions in a health related study, then I would dig into further detail about the questions.

I've done some work with interview questions and psychometric scales.  Here is a working paper by the US Census and the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) with an analysis of the performance characteristics of the questions:

www.census.gov/.../2007_Brault_01.pdf

• For research in the medical literature go to https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ and put disability and American Community Survey into the search box.  For example here is a recent paper:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr161-508.pdf

Reply Children
No Data