VARIABLE FOR "NEWCOMERS" IN THE ACS 5-YEARS ESTIMATES

Hello,

I am working on social vulnerability to floods and I use variables included in the ACS 2008-2012 estimates for census tracts as indicators for my study. Currently, I need a variable to define new residents (to measure the knowledge of the local area; familiarity with the surrounding road network and or neighborhood relationships).
I found two related variables:
1)Residence 1 year ago for the population 1 year old and over
2)Year householder moved into the housing unit

Could anybody advice me if one of these variables seem appropriate for representing newcomers in the census tract or if there is another more appropriate variable that I did not identified?

Thank you in advance!
Parents
  • Thank you very much!
    My analysis is focused on individuals' attributes and reaction during the event but sometimes I use also household information as data for "individuals who live in a household" (like for example the "vehicle available in the household" or "language spoken at home" variables) because of lack of information for individuals.
    I would be glad to discuss further with you when you have some free time.
    Thank you in advance!
  • Thank you very much!
    My analysis is focused on individuals' attributes and reaction during the event but sometimes I use also household information as data for "individuals who live in a household" (like for example the "vehicle available in the household" or "language spoken at home" variables) because of lack of information for individuals.
    I would be glad to discuss further with you when you have some free time.
    Thank you in advance!
Children
No Data