% Households Supporting Grandparents = ?

S1002, B10002, B10001, B99103, B10057, CP02, DP02, S0201

In S1002 I clearly see households (Baldwin  94,105) and With Grandparents living with Grandchildren (Baldwin 4.4%)

So, 4.4% of households have grandparents and children. Not 100% sure this means living with children under 18?

Trying to get % households with Grandparents supporting children? Can be Children or Children under 18, but I need to be clear which one.

Not sure how to interpret Percent allocated (Baldwin .3% and 14.8%)

https://data.census.gov/table?q=S1002&g=0100000US$0500000&y=2021&tid=ACSST1Y2021.S1002&moe=false

Looked at 8 tables and still could not find % households with supporting Grandparents. Lots of stuff but not anything I could find.

Tom

Parents
  • I believe all references to grandparents living with grandchildren are for grandchildren under age 18. According to the subject definitions document (page 73), the question asked on the survey is "Does this person have any of his/her own grandchildren under the age of 18 living in this house or apartment?"

You also might be interested in table B10063, which breaks down households by whether the grandparent is responsible for the grandchildren in the household, and is there a parent present. To find this, I took a look at the Detailed Table Shells document (downloadable from here) and simply searched the spreadsheet for "grandparents" (be careful to differentiate between tables counting individuals and households).

• Thanks! I do find searching data.census also works well and gives B10063 with the other tables. With all the PhD's working on the surveys and tables, I am not impressed.  You have tables specifically with "children under 18 and some with just children. You have Grandparents with Children and Children with Grandparents. As there could be 1 or 2 grandparents and 1 or more children, so many potential differences,  some tables had a N or (x) for the county. I did not know what they meant. Also, the use of the word average not mean or median is something not impressive.    The 4,173 from B10063 matched about half of the tables I searched, and was 4.4% from S1002 (no universe listed).  However, I did see 6,358 often listed as     Civilian grandparents living with own grandchildren under 18 years and various other tables with slightly different names all with 6,358. (Baldwin my default location). So that's another variation "Civilian".  and that I think 6,358 might count both grandparents (if there are 2). 

Thanks again, with all the confusion, I guess we often have to go back to the questions asked to help figure out what the data means. I just wanted to learn how to pull out some key measures. I am stopping with percent grandparents supporting, as I was thinking how many of these grandparent supported households are in poverty, but I've got a great set of 40 plus measures with some helpful tips in my notes.  The BRFSS is next on my list, I hope its easier (CDC Wonder was so easy).

• Thanks! I do find searching data.census also works well and gives B10063 with the other tables. With all the PhD's working on the surveys and tables, I am not impressed.  You have tables specifically with "children under 18 and some with just children. You have Grandparents with Children and Children with Grandparents. As there could be 1 or 2 grandparents and 1 or more children, so many potential differences,  some tables had a N or (x) for the county. I did not know what they meant. Also, the use of the word average not mean or median is something not impressive.    The 4,173 from B10063 matched about half of the tables I searched, and was 4.4% from S1002 (no universe listed).  However, I did see 6,358 often listed as     Civilian grandparents living with own grandchildren under 18 years and various other tables with slightly different names all with 6,358. (Baldwin my default location). So that's another variation "Civilian".  and that I think 6,358 might count both grandparents (if there are 2). 

Thanks again, with all the confusion, I guess we often have to go back to the questions asked to help figure out what the data means. I just wanted to learn how to pull out some key measures. I am stopping with percent grandparents supporting, as I was thinking how many of these grandparent supported households are in poverty, but I've got a great set of 40 plus measures with some helpful tips in my notes.  The BRFSS is next on my list, I hope its easier (CDC Wonder was so easy).

Children
No Data