Census Bureau plans to stop production of 3-year ACS data

The Census Bureau is planning to discontinue the production of all 3-year ACS data, according to their 2015 budget justification document:

"The Census Bureau proposes to terminate permanently the “3-Year Data” Product. The Census Bureau intended to produce this data product for a few years when the ACS was a new survey. Now that the ACS has collected data for nearly a decade, this product can be discontinued without serious
impacts on the availability of the estimates for these communities."

www.osec.doc.gov/.../Census_2016_CJ.pdf

There have also been some emails circulating that mention the 2015 ACS Data Users Conference has been canceled but I want to assure everyone that this is not the case!
Parents
  • I generally find it difficult to use any ACS products 1,3, or -yr because of the MOEs. That said, over the last five or so years I have gravitated to focusing on the 3-yr products for following trends because they, for my needs, give the very best tradeoff between recency and MOEs.

So for general background work, for me, it would be a total loss to lose the 3-yr as the 1-yrs generally have too much error and the 5-yrs are too out of date.

Obviously the population of the geography you are interested in determines what you can reliably use.

stan drezek
  • I generally find it difficult to use any ACS products 1,3, or -yr because of the MOEs. That said, over the last five or so years I have gravitated to focusing on the 3-yr products for following trends because they, for my needs, give the very best tradeoff between recency and MOEs.

So for general background work, for me, it would be a total loss to lose the 3-yr as the 1-yrs generally have too much error and the 5-yrs are too out of date.

Obviously the population of the geography you are interested in determines what you can reliably use.

stan drezek
Children
No Data