Census Bureau plans to stop production of 3-year ACS data

The Census Bureau is planning to discontinue the production of all 3-year ACS data, according to their 2015 budget justification document:

"The Census Bureau proposes to terminate permanently the “3-Year Data” Product. The Census Bureau intended to produce this data product for a few years when the ACS was a new survey. Now that the ACS has collected data for nearly a decade, this product can be discontinued without serious
impacts on the availability of the estimates for these communities."

www.osec.doc.gov/.../Census_2016_CJ.pdf

There have also been some emails circulating that mention the 2015 ACS Data Users Conference has been canceled but I want to assure everyone that this is not the case!
Parents
  • I don't often use the 3-year data, but I just found myself looking forward to a 3-year PUMS data set with all 3 years aligned with the 2010 PUMAs. Our PUMA boundaries changed significantly, making it very hard to work with multiple year data that straddle the 2000 and 2010 PUMAs. Would this change affect the 2014 data releases?
  • I don't often use the 3-year data, but I just found myself looking forward to a 3-year PUMS data set with all 3 years aligned with the 2010 PUMAs. Our PUMA boundaries changed significantly, making it very hard to work with multiple year data that straddle the 2000 and 2010 PUMAs. Would this change affect the 2014 data releases?
Children
No Data