Zip Code Population by County

HI,  My county shares several zip codes with other counties.  How can I best determine the population for the portion of the zip code that is only in my county?  Thanks!

Marti Morris

Data Analyst

Public Health

Phone: 704.853-5097 

Mobile: 704-996-0422

991 W. Hudson Blvd.

Gastonia, NC 28052

www.gastongov.com

| | |  

Parents
  • As a standard disclaimer, this data uses Zip Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) which are technically different than ZIP codes. In some cases this difference doesn't matter, sometimes it's significant, often ZCTAs are the best you can do regardless. ZIP codes don't technically exist as geographies (they're discretely assigned to each address based on post offices and delivery routes), but since we all think of them as geographies, the Census created ZCTAs to approximate the boundaries of addresses in a given ZIP code. Usually, ZCTAs are very close to the actual on-the-ground ZIP codes, but it's uneven. ZCTAs are only updated every 10 years, so right now, they're better than they'll be in 2029. Areas with fast growth (or decline) are most likely to have changes to their ZIP codes, making ZCTA boundaries less accurate. Depending on the precision you need for what you're doing, this could be a non-issue or a showstopper.

• One major difference between ZCTAs and ZIP codes is that houses on either side of a street will usually be in the same ZIP code, but they could be in different ZCTAs, because block boundaries run down the middle of streets.

• One major difference between ZCTAs and ZIP codes is that houses on either side of a street will usually be in the same ZIP code, but they could be in different ZCTAs, because block boundaries run down the middle of streets.

Children
No Data