cost of utilities

Hello. I seek data for the cost of utilities (housing). Ideas? Thank you!

Parents Reply Children
  • Yes, that is a bit tricky.  You can find the data in the BEA's interactive data tool:
    Interactive Data Application | U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)

I used the following steps:

• Under Regional Data on the left, click on Gross Domestic Product and Personal Income
    • Click on Interactive Data Tables
    • Near the bottom of the list of tables, click on REAL PERSONAL INCOME (RPI), REAL PERSONAL CONSUMPTION EXPENDITURES (RPCE), REGIONAL PRICE PARITIES (RPPS), then click on Regional price parities (RPPs)
    • Select SARPP (by state) or MARPP (by MSA)

The values are relative costs - a value above 100 is more than the average, etc.  I'm not sure if there is a way to tie these values to actual dollar expenses.  

• Gwendolyn - 

The BEA RPPs are relative costs - how much more or less this state pays than other states.  For actual dollar costs, the BEA Personal Consumption Expenditures (PCEs) are probably more appropriate. There is a table: SAPCE3 Personal consumption expenditures (PCE) by state by type of product.

This table gives total costs across the area for different expenditures. Here is a link that should take you to a table of costs for New Mexico for the last 5 years for household utility expenses:
    BEA Interactive Data Application

For a per person or per household value, you would need to divide by the appropriate denominator.  

BTW, the BEA data are derived from ACS PUMS data.

• A little background on other surveys. Just to comment on BEA and BLS stats. None of their surveys have anything close to the coverage of the ACS data.  Often the BLS (bureau of labor statistics) and the BEA (bureau of economic analysis) use the ACS data in their calculations, as do many other departments that compile stats.  The current population survey (CPS) collects useful stats but they have a smaller coverage than the ACS. For business stats, In conjunction with the Department of Commerce the Census (ABS Annual Business Survey) conducts a business survey (I know because I get the survey). They have a pretty large sample size but maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the ACS sample size.

Dave