apportioning 116th congress data into 118th

I'm wondering if anyone can nudge me in the right direction. I'm trying to divvy up ACS congressional district data (116th session) into 118th session districts (since 118th isn't available yet). Is there something like a crosswalk file that accomplishes this already? I've done some searching but haven't come across one yet and am hoping I'm just overlooking it. I've currently created a union of the spatial files of the two sessions, but still need to apportion some 116th district polygons because they overlap 118th boundaries. 

Parents
  • One option is to access the 116 and 118 block equivalency files (available here and here), and access a 2010-2020 block crosswalk from IPUMS NHGIS (available here) -> you could re-apportion the data by going down to the block level and using block-level population weights before re-summing. Another easier option that uses a similar method (if you code in R) would be to use the interpolate_pw() function from tidycensus() that allows you to use 116 and 118 spatial files, plus a third spatial file containing blocks (you'd need to choose 2010 or 2020) and a population weight of interest. 

We have some ACS data available for the 118th Congress on the Congressional District Health Dashboard. We use a third method that you might also consider, which is going from tracts->118th Congress using a similar block population weighting method. Feel free to email us if you'd like to discuss further.

• I do code in R and will definitely try this!! 

Reply Children
No Data