Trying to Calculate Population density Across All Places

I am trying to find or calculate population density for all Places in the US. I can find the population for these in a table like B01001 but I'm not sure if the land area is available in any form through one of the published tables.

Parents
  • Cliff,

We've got land and water areas (and populations, and therefore densities) for every state, county, metro, city, cosub, and zip code.
    Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up.
    Bert
    bert@bestplaces.net

• As an FYI you can use the R censusapi; package to download all the places (or County subdivision) mapping files for a state or county.  You can pass a vector of FIPS codes to get the whole state.  You can then pull out ALAND from the TIGERLINE datasets.

• Thanks for the tip, David.  We've also got the option of using GIS to total up the areas.  One of our guys is a cartographic whiz and takes him only a couple of hours to do this sort of analysis.

• Not to harp on this, but Density is a organic variable in Social Explorer, as such I was able to get Cliff Cook what he wanted in about 10 minutes.  I finally decided to send it to him, because discussion how to do it was taking more time than it would take anyone with Social Explorer account to do it.  Basically we set up and compute what many people are likely to want, so you do not have to.

• Not to harp on this, but Density is a organic variable in Social Explorer, as such I was able to get Cliff Cook what he wanted in about 10 minutes.  I finally decided to send it to him, because discussion how to do it was taking more time than it would take anyone with Social Explorer account to do it.  Basically we set up and compute what many people are likely to want, so you do not have to.

Children