housing costs as percent of income

Hi all

I’m looking for housing costs as percent of household income, by race and ethnicity, at the state or county level, NYS.

S0201 has these rows

SELECTED MONTHLY OWNER COSTS AS A PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLD INCOME IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS
Housing units with a mortgage (excluding units where SMOC cannot be computed)
Less than 30 percent
30 percent or more

At some point in the past, around 2015, I thought this table had data by race and ethnicity, but now it doesn’t. Is it possible that either I got the wrong table, or that the table changed?

Another table, b25070, is gross rent as percent of household income. Again, at some point in the past, around 2015, I thought this table also had data by race and ethnicity, but now it doesn’t. Is it possible that either I got the wrong table, or that the table changed?

Thanks

Gene

Parents
  • Hi Gene, if you haven't heard of the HUD CHAS (US Housing and Urban Development/ Comprehensive Housing Affordability Strategy) )data, there's more info here: CHAS: Background | HUD USER

It's a special run of the ACS data done by HUD, it usually lags behind release of standard ACS, (latest release is from the 2015-2019 ACS) but has the detailed data by race/ethnicity that you are interested in.

The query tool is pretty easy to use and is available at many geographic levels including state and county here: 

Consolidated Planning/CHAS Data | HUD USER

It breaks out housing costs by race/ethnicity, by renter and owner and more. Hope it helps!

Tina

• Hi Tina. Thanks very much. This looks interesting. Does this have data by race and ethnicity? It looks like it's just totals for the state.

Thanks.

Gene.

Reply Children