ACS estimates of "grandparents responsible for grandchildren" (S1002)

Hello! I'm reviewing the 2022 5-year ACS estimates for New Mexico, in particular table S1002 ("Grandparents"). Regarding the percentage indicator "Grandparents responsible for grandchildren" - please, what is the DENOMINATOR for this percentage? Thank you!

Parents
  • Ok, I have several email chains on grandparents, ( long email chains). Here is the bottom line on S1002 regarding the last percents. AND PLEASE NOTE never ever look at allocations.

I hope this helps.

Tom

With regards to these last two percents in table S1002, I would disregard them.

I don't think you're going to have any need for these percents, and I'm not 100% sure that you could easily verify them even if you wanted to. The reason for this is that they are the percent allocated. Respondents don't always provide an answer to a question in the questionnaire during their interview, so we have different statistical methods for dealing with those missing values. Allocation typically refers to the imputation that is done for these missing values. I won't get into the whole thing with allocation, but please suffice it to say that these are not related to the data in a way that I imagine you could or would want to directly use. Including the percent allocated in a table simply gives you more information to take into account when you are looking at the data in the rest of the table; it gives you an idea of how much or how little of a role allocation played in determining the estimates you see in the rest of the table. If you would like to learn more about allocation in the ACS, please go to www.census.gov/.../item-allocation-rates-definitions.html.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Very best,

Jessica Barnett
    Dissemination Outreach Branch

Census Enterprise Dissemination Services and

Consumer Innovation (CEDSCI)

U.S. Census Bureau

Branch phone: 301.763.8327

• Thank you so very much, Jessica! The information you provided is quite helpful. In lieu of using the imputed/allocated estimates, I will rely on the counts "Grandparent responsible for own grandchildren under 18 years" from table B10051. However, I'd like to estimate PERCENTAGES (for the purposes of comparisons). Please, so that I may estimate "percentage of grandparents responsible for own grandchildren", do you know of an estimate of "grandparents" I could use as my denominator?

Thank you again!

• Paying close attention can really pay off. This is Tom, not Jessica, and although it was great of her to give the info, it took a fair amount of effort (which is often the case) to get someone to give the info. And typically it's many emails to track info down. I do have more info on grandparents, and sometime later tonight or tomorrow I can send you some more insights and which tables and fields are best (in my humble opinion). The tables I currently use are B10010, B10059, B10063. I will try and run my data pulls tomorrow and see what I get.

• Paying close attention can really pay off. This is Tom, not Jessica, and although it was great of her to give the info, it took a fair amount of effort (which is often the case) to get someone to give the info. And typically it's many emails to track info down. I do have more info on grandparents, and sometime later tonight or tomorrow I can send you some more insights and which tables and fields are best (in my humble opinion). The tables I currently use are B10010, B10059, B10063. I will try and run my data pulls tomorrow and see what I get.

Children
No Data