Small Area Estimation R Package

Dear ACS DUG,

I have posted an early Windows installer for a package that makes tract level synthetic data from PUMS data. It has the feature of being able to merge in the Supplemental Poverty Measure PUMS data files should you want to use variables in that dataset. See dorerfoundation.org/software for more information and a link to the GitHub webpage.

Feedback welcome, The package is an early development version.

Dave Dorer

A Linux (developed on Ubuntu) installer is also available.  You need gcc to compile one C routine.

Parents
  • Dear All,

I continue to add functions most of which are diagnostic and test the model fit.  If you downloaded earlier you might download the package again and run install.packages("PAT",repos=NULL).  For example there is a new function (not documented yet) that takes previously created synthetic data for census tracks, aggregates the synthetic data "up" to the county subdivision ("CSD" or cosub level) and then checks the CSD synthetic data marginal tables against Detail ACS tables for the CSD.  The following statistic is computed:

delta ==  synthetic data tablulation - Detail table "Est";

then compute 1.645*delta / Detail table MoE.

This corresponds to something like a standardized residual for the synthetic data table fit and can be used to locate table cells with a bad fit.

In general you wouldn't expect the aggregated CSD synthetic data marginals to agree exactly with the CSD Detail tables as the synthetic data only fits  "lower order" interactions corresponding to the marginal tables used in the synthetic data PUMS model fit. The "higher" level interactions for the PUMS/PUMA will not be exactly the same a s the higher level interactions within the CSD.  For example the Age x Sex x Race PUMA interaction will not be the same as the Age x Sex x Race interaction within the CSD.

Other than one user, I haven't received feedback.  It would be useful if people who have tried the package to send comments.

Keeping with the Mission of Dorer Community Service Foundation, I am available to provide free consulting to nonprofit 501(c)(3) and government entities. See dorerfoundation.org.  Send email to the "info" email listed on the "Contact Us" webpage.

Dave

• I'm continuing to work on replicate weights and standard errors. If you have tried the package or have any questions send an email to info@dorerfoundation.org.  Support is free for 501(c)(3) nonprofits and government entities.

Dave

Reply Children
No Data