County-level data from ACS 1-Year Estimates Public Use Microdata Sample

I am trying to get county-level data on California householder's racial composition. My variable of interest is HHLDRRAC1P. However, I can only select

STATE

or PUMA

data.census.gov/.../

How can I select county, or aggregate to get county-level estimates that are appropriately weighted?

Parents
  • As a general matter you can't get county level estimates from PUMS data.  The only geography for PUMS data is the PUMA. In the case where a county is a "Union" of several PUMAs you can "stack" PUMS data for the corresponding PUMAs.   If the PUMAs cross county lines you are stuck.

• Where can I get county-level?

• Try

S2502 Demographic Characteristics for Occupied Housing Units

The unit of analysis is the household not the person.   For example if you want to know the population in households where the householder is African American you can't get it from this table.

I think that you have to use pums data where this a linkage between the householder and the members in the householder using PUMS variables  SERIALNO and SPORDER

Dave

• The Census Bureau publishes many ACS summary tables for geographic areas at many levels, including counties. But the 1-year summary data are published only for areas with at least 65,000 residents, which excludes most counties. (The 1-year sample size isn't large enough to produce reliable statistics for most characteristics for areas with fewer people.) If you need summary data for all counties, you'd need to get 5-year summary data. E.g., the most recent 5-year data summarize characteristics across all 5 years from 2018 through 2022.

The Bureau's site for finding summary tables is data.census.gov. I work at IPUMS where we have another site, IPUMS NHGIS, that provides ACS summary tables. If you struggle to find what you're looking for with data.census.gov (not uncommon), you might find it easier to find what you're looking for at NHGIS.

• The Census Bureau publishes many ACS summary tables for geographic areas at many levels, including counties. But the 1-year summary data are published only for areas with at least 65,000 residents, which excludes most counties. (The 1-year sample size isn't large enough to produce reliable statistics for most characteristics for areas with fewer people.) If you need summary data for all counties, you'd need to get 5-year summary data. E.g., the most recent 5-year data summarize characteristics across all 5 years from 2018 through 2022.

The Bureau's site for finding summary tables is data.census.gov. I work at IPUMS where we have another site, IPUMS NHGIS, that provides ACS summary tables. If you struggle to find what you're looking for with data.census.gov (not uncommon), you might find it easier to find what you're looking for at NHGIS.

Children
No Data