Large uptick in "Other" mode usage for commuting between 12am and 1am

I'm looking into how commute modes change over the course of the day, and one interesting thing I've found is that, in the 2022 ACS PUMS, 18% (weighted) of workers who reported arriving at work between 12am (inclusive) and 1am (exclusive) reported using an "other" mode. This 18% is about 1000 respondents, so it's not just amplified noise, I think. I've looked at industries, states, incomes, and metropolitan status, and nothing about these workers jumps out that would explain the other mode usage (I had initially thought, for example, that it might be pilots or flight attendants who flew to work—but the industry analysis didn't suggest that). This is true in both IPUMS and source Census data, and in both 2021 and 2022. It's also not due to imputation/allocation; some kind folks at IPUMS looked into the allocation process and found that this pattern is present even in the un-allocated responses.

Anyone have any thought what's going on here, or what this "other" mode might represent?

Parents
  • I think there's a few things going on here. Many folks who work third shift are poor, so they work those hours based on necessity. The time of day also limits public transit and friends who are willing to drive you somewhere at midnight.

• I think there's a few things going on here. Many folks who work third shift are poor, so they work those hours based on necessity. The time of day also limits public transit and friends who are willing to drive you somewhere at midnight.

Children
No Data