Top-coded values

Has anyone ever attempted to "fill-in" the top-coded values for the 5 year ACS PUMS data? For example, in 2009, all of the house values (variable: valp) greater than 4 million dollars in Hawaii get cutoff and it's impossible to tell if the observation you're looking at is a 50 million dollar home or a 4.01 million dollar home - since both look the same. The top-coded cutoff values are different for every year by state combination and I haven't had much luck trying to break through the top-coded value. I've mostly been running linear regressions on the data and am just trying to get a reasonable estimate for each observation that is top-coded. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

[Updated on 2/24/2015 3:08 PM]
Parents
  • I also think property assessor data would be very good...if you can get your hands on it. The problem is that it is much harder to get access to the database(s). Each database is maintained by the county that levies the taxes so there is no one-stop shopping if you are looking at a larger area. Maybe if you contact the Property Assessor for each county you are examining, you might get lucky. I have never been so fortunate. Manually looking up properties on the county websites and hard-coding the data is not a viable solution. On the other hand, you can usually get access to historical MLS data if you talk to the right people: a Realtor you know or, perhaps, the Board of Realtors in that area. Though they will almost certainly charge you for the data if you are not a member. Good luck.
  • I also think property assessor data would be very good...if you can get your hands on it. The problem is that it is much harder to get access to the database(s). Each database is maintained by the county that levies the taxes so there is no one-stop shopping if you are looking at a larger area. Maybe if you contact the Property Assessor for each county you are examining, you might get lucky. I have never been so fortunate. Manually looking up properties on the county websites and hard-coding the data is not a viable solution. On the other hand, you can usually get access to historical MLS data if you talk to the right people: a Realtor you know or, perhaps, the Board of Realtors in that area. Though they will almost certainly charge you for the data if you are not a member. Good luck.
Children
No Data