I'm finally starting to run tabulations from the new 5 year file ...

I've uploaded (to the PUMS group) 3 tabulations from the 2010-2014 PUMS file as follows: In the first (MergedMigration), there was a need to see where people were moving to/from based on age. The problem here is that in the 5 year file there are two vintages of Migsp. In creating this I merged the two vintages (migsp05 and migsp12) into a new dimension called Migsp, which is a lot easier to use, but caution must be applied for those who are affected by the differences in the vintages. E.g. if you are interested in people who came from Israel, realize that Israel was only specified in the migsp05 item, and will appear underrepresented in this tabulation, because some of the people from Israel will be rolled into another category for the data that uses migsp12. If you are only interested in the US States, there are no differences between the two, and the custom migsp dimension can be used comfortably.

In the second (IntroFields), I'm introducing two new data items. The first (ResHBCty) labels everyone who lives in Hillsborough County, FL as “Yes”, and labels everyone else as “No”. The second (MigHBCty) labels everyone who migrated from Hillsborough County, FL as “Mig From HB”, people who migrated from somewhere else as “Mig Other”, and people who did not migrate as “No Mig”. By cross-referencing these two variables we can see some interesting facts, such as about 71,000 people moved out of the county, 81,000 people moved into the county, and 148,000 people moved from one part of the county to another. I also added a volume of personal income, so we can see that the people who moved into the county made about $1.9 billion, while the people who moved out made about $1.6 billion.

The third tabulation is the same as the first, except that the two new dimensions have been added to it to allow “zooming in” on the people moving to/from/within Hillsborough county without losing any of the other detail.

If anyone is interested in validating these tabulations, and you would like to have the serial numbers and person numbers that went into a particular cell (hopefully a small one!) let me know and I'll send them to you.

– John Grumbine
Parents
  • Wow this is great information John! I like how you created two new variables for easy access to see who is moving to/from Hillsborough County by age group. I just have a couple of questions; 1) Is there any way to include household incomes for adults by age group (hincp_vwa)? Or would this number be too low to calculate. 2) Which column makes the most sense to use when calculating the total number of people who moved/to from Hillsborough County?

Thanks again!
    Robin
  • Wow this is great information John! I like how you created two new variables for easy access to see who is moving to/from Hillsborough County by age group. I just have a couple of questions; 1) Is there any way to include household incomes for adults by age group (hincp_vwa)? Or would this number be too low to calculate. 2) Which column makes the most sense to use when calculating the total number of people who moved/to from Hillsborough County?

Thanks again!
    Robin
Children
No Data