Use PUMS data for PUMAS belonging only in one county

Hello! I try to use PUMS 5yr 2008-2012 data and I face a strange fact that when I sum the weights (variable PWGTP in the dataset) for the PUMAS that belong to a specific County, I do not take as a result the known total population in this county (compared to the population from ACS 2008-2012 estimates)...
Could anyone advise me if I use the given weights properly? The PUMS data are for PUMAS in one whole state and I try to extract only the PUMAS in the county that I need. Is it possible or there is problem because the PUMS data are defined at a state level?
Parents
  • Are you taking into account the fact that the 2008-2012 ACS 5-Year PUMS dataset has two different PUMA variables, PUMA00 and PUMA10? PUMA00 will have a value for cases in which the data was collected in 2008-2011, and PUMA10 will have a value for cases in which the data was collected in 2012. Also, the PUMA boundaries might be different, and PUMAs do not necessarily match up to counties.
  • Are you taking into account the fact that the 2008-2012 ACS 5-Year PUMS dataset has two different PUMA variables, PUMA00 and PUMA10? PUMA00 will have a value for cases in which the data was collected in 2008-2011, and PUMA10 will have a value for cases in which the data was collected in 2012. Also, the PUMA boundaries might be different, and PUMAs do not necessarily match up to counties.
Children
No Data