Racial Segregation Measures

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to map racial segregation on either the block group or census tract level and was hoping you might have some data source suggestions. I have seen census data used to compute dissimilarity or isolation indexes (for example, http://www.censusscope.org/us/s25/rank_dissimilarity_white_black.html), but was hoping to find something at a finer grain. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Thank you,

Sharon

Parents
  • Hi Sharon--

You should look at the work of Elizabith Roberto www.elizabethroberto.com. She has done some very interesting work using blocks and transportation and physical boundaries. She also has developed a divergence index, which allows one to see the contribution of segregation from each unit, whether blockgroup, tract or block, as well as by place.

Andy Beveridge
  • Hi Sharon--

You should look at the work of Elizabith Roberto www.elizabethroberto.com. She has done some very interesting work using blocks and transportation and physical boundaries. She also has developed a divergence index, which allows one to see the contribution of segregation from each unit, whether blockgroup, tract or block, as well as by place.

Andy Beveridge
Children
No Data