1-year estimates at census tract level

Hello everyone,

I am looking for population, basic demographics, and housing costs at the census tract level per year. I know that ACS has yearly estimates at the MSA level and 5 year estimates at the tract level but neither will work for what I am doing  (see below). Does anyone know of a data source for any of the above available at the tract level for each year? I am not worried about small sample sizes and would be happy with just population estimates. 

Bus ridership is at its lowest point in 20 years. I am using transit ridership data at the bus stop level at 100,000 bus stops in 10 regions over 10 years. I need population, basic demographics, and/or housing costs to explain the changes in ridership over time at a hyper-local level.

Cheers,

Simon

Parents
  • There is no easy answer - especially across 10 regions. Offhand, there's annual data from The Home Mortgage Disclosure Act on mortgage loan amounts (which you can get through the CFPB) back to the late 1990s - this would be less helpful for high rental/multifamily areas. LODES data from Census would give you the number of workers back to 2002-2015 who live in a given area (block level), but that's not all the population and race/education only goes back to 2009.

So you could patch together those for the later years in combination with trend analysis of 2000 to 2010 to 2012/2016 ACS data (using NCDB or the Brown DB s4.ad.brown.edu/.../bridging.htm, which standardizes data for tract boundaries.) For reference, my list of most nationally-available datasets with small area data is a little outdated, but could be helpful for brainstorming and is at www.neighborhoodindicators.org/.../list-national-data-sets-small-area-data .
  • Hi Kathy,

Thank you so much! These data sources are exactly what I have been looking for! A couple follow-up questions:
    - Why is HMDA data less helpful for high rental/ multifamily areas?
    - Why is LODES data only available for 2002-2015. Have they stopped collecting data or will 2016 come out soon?

Also you list of data sources is phenomenal. I'll go through it in detail tomorrow
  • I can answer re LODES. I reached out to them about 2016 in April and received the following response: "No release date yet - we're waiting on some legal agreements to be finalized between the Census bureau and one of the data providers. There are beginning to be rumblings so I'd expect an internal push for 2016 LODES data in the immediate future."
  • I can answer re LODES. I reached out to them about 2016 in April and received the following response: "No release date yet - we're waiting on some legal agreements to be finalized between the Census bureau and one of the data providers. There are beginning to be rumblings so I'd expect an internal push for 2016 LODES data in the immediate future."
Children