1-year estimates at census tract level

Hello everyone,

I am looking for population, basic demographics, and housing costs at the census tract level per year. I know that ACS has yearly estimates at the MSA level and 5 year estimates at the tract level but neither will work for what I am doing  (see below). Does anyone know of a data source for any of the above available at the tract level for each year? I am not worried about small sample sizes and would be happy with just population estimates. 

Bus ridership is at its lowest point in 20 years. I am using transit ridership data at the bus stop level at 100,000 bus stops in 10 regions over 10 years. I need population, basic demographics, and/or housing costs to explain the changes in ridership over time at a hyper-local level.

Cheers,

Simon

Parents
  • No matter who does the estimate for this sort of thing, one effectively allocates the data at a larger geography (here it would be PUMA) to a lower level geography, here it would be tracts. The second thing you would need to do would be to move them ahead a couple of years, since you would, in effect, be using the 5 year file, which centers 3 years out of date. We are working on this for Social Explorer. But we do not have them ready to go at this point for what you need.
  • Thank you so much all for your help finding data for this exciting research!

Bernie - I called and they said 2016 LODES should be available in 2 months but no guarantees!

Girma - Thank you for this! Unfortunately, I cannot use FCC data because they use county-level data to estimate block-level population. I am looking to see if the change in population of adjacent tracts (or blocks or block groups) affects transit ridership in these places.

Andrew - Since I really need single-year estimates, I've been thinking about deriving them from ACS' 5-year estimates. The problem is that it's a system of equations with n equations and n+4 unknown. Even using the 2010 Census, I wouldn't be able to get those 3 center years. Is that what you are referring to? Am I missing something?

Please let me know if anyone has other ideas this is super helpful!
  • Could you pool ridership across the comparable years and pair that with ACS 5-year data (e.g. ridership from 2012-2016 to match with ACS 2016 5-year)?

Given your study period and scope, there are few things to keep in mind if you do go with ACS 5-year data (whether to derive your own single-year estimates or use the data as-is)...
    1 - Census tract boundaries changed in 2010
    2 - Data were re-benchmarked to reflect 2010 Census counts
    3 - Tracts with a large group quarters population may show variations that have nothing to do with change "on the ground" (the controlling routine for group quarters at the sub-state level can introduce unexpected noise)
  • Hi Beth,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately we can't use 5 year estimates because the trends we are measuring are quite subtle.

What do you mean by data were re-benchmarked in 2010?

Can we get rid of the problem altogether by starting our analysis in 2011?
  • I hate to say it, but if you're looking for very subtle changes at a small geography, it could be tough to use any ACS data. The margins of error are fairly high, and any tricks you might use to estimate higher 1 year estimates to the tract level will likely exacerbate the issue. LEHD might be a your best bet here, as it uses administrative rather than survey data.
  • I hate to say it, but if you're looking for very subtle changes at a small geography, it could be tough to use any ACS data. The margins of error are fairly high, and any tricks you might use to estimate higher 1 year estimates to the tract level will likely exacerbate the issue. LEHD might be a your best bet here, as it uses administrative rather than survey data.
Children
No Data