Tutorials on using PUMS data in R

Hello,

I'm interested in using and analyzing IPUMS data in RStudio, but I'm finding it difficult to find a truly comprehensive walk-through on how to import it and analyze it successfully. I would greatly appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Peter

Parents
  • Hi Peter,

I have some code that I can adapt/share. Can you mention some of the variables you're interested in?

I use the ACS PUMS files, which are straight from Census. IPUMS slightly modifies these files by renaming variables and recoding some of them so that they're generally consistent with decennial Census files. Still you should be able to use the code to figure out how to work with PUMS data. I'll aim to have something up in the next few days.

As far as importing it goes, at least with IPUMS, you'll have to go to their website and create a .csv extract that you download and then import into R.
  • Hi Peter,

I have some code that I can adapt/share. Can you mention some of the variables you're interested in?

I use the ACS PUMS files, which are straight from Census. IPUMS slightly modifies these files by renaming variables and recoding some of them so that they're generally consistent with decennial Census files. Still you should be able to use the code to figure out how to work with PUMS data. I'll aim to have something up in the next few days.

As far as importing it goes, at least with IPUMS, you'll have to go to their website and create a .csv extract that you download and then import into R.
Children
No Data