Broadband definition

Hi. In table B28002, does variable for "Broadband of any type" include only cable, DSL, fiber optic, and similar connections, or does it also include cellular, satellite, and/or "other" service? I can't find any definition of "Broadband of any type" in the Subject Definitions or Table Shells.

The Subject Definitions file states "Respondents select a checkbox for “Yes” or “No” for each of five types of services: a.) cellular data plan for a smartphone or other mobile device, b.) broadband (high speed) Internet service such as cable, fiber optic, or DSL, c.) satellite, d.) dial-up or e.) some other service." This suggests cable, fiber optic, and DSL are distinct from cellular and satellite.

However, in table B28002, "Broadband of any type" and "Broadband such as cable, fiber optic or DSL" are two separate variables. Indentation in the Table Shells for these two indicators are the same, suggesting one is not a subset of the other. If "Cellular data plan", "Broadband such as cable, fiber optic or DSL", "Satellite Internet service", and "Other service..." were indented beneath Broadband of any type, this would be clearer.

Thanks for your help!

Parents
  • The category "Broadband of any type" refers to those who said "Yes" to at least one of the following types of Internet subscriptions: Broadband such as cable, fiber optic, or DSL; a cellular data plan; satellite; or a fixed wireless subscription.

So it appears that yes, it does include cellular, satellite, etc... (despite the table indentation)

can you confirm (or correct) my assessment?

PS
    Sorry it took so long to see this. For some reason, I'm not getting notifications for new posts to this discussion thread! We're working with hosting org to figure out what's going on.
  • I checked with the subject matter expert, and he said:
    Beth's answer is correct. "Broadband of any type" includes mobile broadband, Cable, DSL, and Fiber, as well as Satellite internet and other reported internet typed. Effectively, it is a category that excludes dial-up internet. I will take the concerns regarding indentation under advisement and see how we're displaying this table and if we're able to alter it in the future.

He also said:
    The ACS 5-year release is scheduled for December 6th, which will provide broadband subscription data for smaller geographies. I am checking which specific small geographies these data will be available.
  • I checked with the subject matter expert, and he said:
    Beth's answer is correct. "Broadband of any type" includes mobile broadband, Cable, DSL, and Fiber, as well as Satellite internet and other reported internet typed. Effectively, it is a category that excludes dial-up internet. I will take the concerns regarding indentation under advisement and see how we're displaying this table and if we're able to alter it in the future.

He also said:
    The ACS 5-year release is scheduled for December 6th, which will provide broadband subscription data for smaller geographies. I am checking which specific small geographies these data will be available.
Children
No Data