Zip code/Zip code tabulation area crosswalk

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a zip code/zip code tabulation area crosswalk (i.e. which zip codes are consolidated into a ZCTA). I know that certain zip codes are omitted from ZCTAs for a number of reasons (e.g. large unpopulated areas of land https://www.census.gov/geo/reference/zctas.html). 

Specifically, I am looking at the ZCTAs for Los Angeles County, California.  I have a list of the zip codes for LA county and pulled up the ZCTAs for California. When I compared the zip codes and ZCTAs, I saw that 68.7% of the zip codes did not have a matching ZCTA. Is there any way to find out if some of the zip codes were combined with a particular ZCTA?

Thanks, in advance.

Cole 

Parents
  • Try this. Go to the link below and weed out the ones on your list that are POBoxes and "Unique" (the "unique" are pretty much the businesses/universities that have their own zip code).
    www.zip-codes.com/.../ca-los-angeles.asp

I dont think you'll find a crosswalk because of the changing nature of zip code boundaries. They are somewhat "fluid" because zip codes are created by the USPS for the purpose of delivering mail, so their boundaries change as carrier routes get adjusted.

If you haven't already, it may also be helpful to read these items about ZCTAs and how they are created and how they compare to zip codes.
    How ZCTAs compare to zip codes:
    www.census.gov/.../zcta.html

ZCTA documentation:
    www.census.gov/.../zctas.html
  • thanks again for your suggestion. I went through that website and compared the ZCTA list with those zip codes and you were right. Most of the missing ZCTAs were for PO Boxes and Unique zip codes. Thanks again!!
Reply Children
No Data