Trend Data from ACS PUMS 2000 - 2013

For an analysis of trends in the household population--specifically grandparents as caregivers for their grandchildren--are there cautions to be wary of when processing the ACS PUMS from 2000 through 2013? The obvious difference is one of sample size during the development period 2000 - 2004 and its effect on statistical reliability. Others to be concerned about?

Best,
Warren A. Brown
Cornell University
wab4@cornell.edu
Parents
  • My recollection is that the sample design for the national sample was quite different during the 2000-2004 demonstration period: it was a multi-stage sample with self-representing and non-self-representing PSUs. If that is the case, there would be some states with no PUMS data. Of course, if you're only interested in U.S. estimates, this probably has no effect. Also, I don't think there is any PUMA geography for the 2000-2004 PUMS. Sometime around 2000, but I don't remember the exact year, the question about length of time a grandparent is responsible for a grandchild changed the answer categories in a manner that made it impossible to compare that question back to previous periods. If the change happened in 2000, then there is no problem going forward.

Doug Hillmer
  • My recollection is that the sample design for the national sample was quite different during the 2000-2004 demonstration period: it was a multi-stage sample with self-representing and non-self-representing PSUs. If that is the case, there would be some states with no PUMS data. Of course, if you're only interested in U.S. estimates, this probably has no effect. Also, I don't think there is any PUMA geography for the 2000-2004 PUMS. Sometime around 2000, but I don't remember the exact year, the question about length of time a grandparent is responsible for a grandchild changed the answer categories in a manner that made it impossible to compare that question back to previous periods. If the change happened in 2000, then there is no problem going forward.

Doug Hillmer
Children
No Data