Comparing 2005-9 ACS 5 year with 2010-14 ACS 5 year

I am seeking advise on how to handle the issue of different population controls used in weighting the ACS 2005-09 period estimates from those used in weighting the ACS 2010-14 period estimates. The Census Bureau notes this as a special problem in making these comparisons which have different base populations. Considering that, what have others done to make this adjustment before making comparisons of ACS estimates and MOEs? It would seem that the standard calculations suggested in the Compass booklets would need to be adjusted. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Joe Francis
Parents
  • Thanks John

Appreciate your suggestion. My guess is that the population controls are different as the Census Bureau bothered to put up a special webpage with warnings about comparing the two non-overlapping ACS 5 year releases. Specifically they warned that the 2005-9 ACS had a different base population than the 2010-14 resulting in different weighting being applied to the final population controls. I am wanting to compare ACS estimates and MOEs between the two 5 year time periods for counties in NY where some several of which have populations below the threshold to receive the 1 year ACS releases. As an aside, what a bummer to wait until a second, non-overlapping five year release to make comparisons and be hit with this problem.
  • Thanks John

Appreciate your suggestion. My guess is that the population controls are different as the Census Bureau bothered to put up a special webpage with warnings about comparing the two non-overlapping ACS 5 year releases. Specifically they warned that the 2005-9 ACS had a different base population than the 2010-14 resulting in different weighting being applied to the final population controls. I am wanting to compare ACS estimates and MOEs between the two 5 year time periods for counties in NY where some several of which have populations below the threshold to receive the 1 year ACS releases. As an aside, what a bummer to wait until a second, non-overlapping five year release to make comparisons and be hit with this problem.
Children
No Data