Comparing 2005-9 ACS 5 year with 2010-14 ACS 5 year

I am seeking advise on how to handle the issue of different population controls used in weighting the ACS 2005-09 period estimates from those used in weighting the ACS 2010-14 period estimates. The Census Bureau notes this as a special problem in making these comparisons which have different base populations. Considering that, what have others done to make this adjustment before making comparisons of ACS estimates and MOEs? It would seem that the standard calculations suggested in the Compass booklets would need to be adjusted. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Joe Francis
Parents
  • Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas, but your post brings up some questions that might spark ideas. My first thought is this: Would the population controls for 2009 and 2010 data be different in the 2009-2013 PUMS file? Or did they adjust them to make them the same? With the multitude of data items in that file, "Year" is notably missing (although it can be derived from serial number). I wonder if that could be missing in order to discourage time series analysis because of different population controls?

I understood (and I know very little about this) that the population estimates are created by forcing the samples to match known quantities, and are likely created based on criteria that is not available to us (which would seem to make it beyond our capacity to reliably tweak the data). If there's a way to legitimately alter the calculations based on what is available to us, I too would be interested in knowing what it is.

- John Grumbine
  • Hi Joe,

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas, but your post brings up some questions that might spark ideas. My first thought is this: Would the population controls for 2009 and 2010 data be different in the 2009-2013 PUMS file? Or did they adjust them to make them the same? With the multitude of data items in that file, "Year" is notably missing (although it can be derived from serial number). I wonder if that could be missing in order to discourage time series analysis because of different population controls?

I understood (and I know very little about this) that the population estimates are created by forcing the samples to match known quantities, and are likely created based on criteria that is not available to us (which would seem to make it beyond our capacity to reliably tweak the data). If there's a way to legitimately alter the calculations based on what is available to us, I too would be interested in knowing what it is.

- John Grumbine
Children
No Data