Issues downloading block group level data in Illinois

Hi folks,

I'm having some challenges with downloading data.

I am searching for 2018 ACS 5-year estimates for several variables at the Illinois block group level. Specifically:
Total population: B01003
Housing units: B25001
Educational attainment for the population 25 years and over: B15003
Employment status for the population 16 years and over: B23025
Living arrangements of adults 18 years and over by age: B09021
Poverty status of individuals in the past 12 months by living arrangement: B17021
In some instances I get a message "Data not available" when I click on a table following an advanced search. In other instances, the tables appear to be available, but I attempt to start the download, I receive an error message saying "Download failed."

Any ideas?

Regards,

Shaun

Parents
  • I've had similar issues with data.census.gov depending on the web browser I use.  I've never had an issue with Microsoft Edge if you can use that.

• thanks for the tip greg, unfortunately didn't work for me. also gave firefox a try with the same results. 

i reached out to someone at the census office early last week. she went through my search procedure and was getting the same null results. she didn't have too much advice to offer other than saying it could be a glitch that would be worked out, and i could try emailing censci.feedback@census.gov (which I've done twice, no response).

so i guess i'm pretty stumped right now...

• Hi Shaun--

I do not know where you are, but if you have access to Social Explorer, you can easily download all the the block groups in Illinois with the variables you suggest.  If you are not at an institution that has a license you can sign-up for a one or two week free trial.  The data are delivered in CSV format for SAS and SPSS and R, and in a format that works in STATA or in a GIS format.  Check it out at www.socialexplorer.com.  We have most extant aggregate Census Files, including ACS etc all the way back to 1790.  If you have any questions, send an email to info@socialexplorer.com.

Thanks.

• Hi Shaun--

I do not know where you are, but if you have access to Social Explorer, you can easily download all the the block groups in Illinois with the variables you suggest.  If you are not at an institution that has a license you can sign-up for a one or two week free trial.  The data are delivered in CSV format for SAS and SPSS and R, and in a format that works in STATA or in a GIS format.  Check it out at www.socialexplorer.com.  We have most extant aggregate Census Files, including ACS etc all the way back to 1790.  If you have any questions, send an email to info@socialexplorer.com.

Thanks.

Children