ESR vs COW

Hi All,

As a means of a data check as I'm not very familiar with the employment variables I created an unweighted crosstabulation of the variables Class of worker (COW) and Employment Status Recode (ESR) in the Rhode Island 2013 1-year persons PUMS file.

When I do this I find many cases that fall into a category where Employment Status Recode (ESR) = 6 - not in the labor force AND Class of Worker (COW) = 1 - Employee of a private for-profit company or business, or of an individual, for wages, salary, or commissions

I understand that in the COW variable Not in the labor force is listed as someone who has not been in labor force for 5 years or longer. So why are the cases listed as ESR = 6 instead of ESR = 2 or 5 which are civilian/armed forces job but not currently at work?

I'm clearly missing something here - anyone have any advice?

Thanks! Jess
Parents
  • Hi Jess,

My guess is that if you're getting people with ESR=6 and COW = 1, then these are people who recently unemployed or separated from the labor force (

I did some analyses with TX PUMS data on the last job of those who are now unemployed (ESR = 3), but the OCCP and SOCP variables are the current occupation for those who are employed/the last occupation for those who are currently unemployed/NILF. COW is similar in that it's more the sector/employer type of current/last job rather than current employment status. OCCP = 9920 are those who last worked 5 or more years ago, but you can still get information on those who last worked more recently than 5 years ago. I would think it's the same for COW.

Here's my understanding of the two variables:

ESR (Employment status recode) - describing the person.

b .N/A (less than 16 years old)
    1 .Civilian employed, at work
    2 .Civilian employed, with a job but not at work - this could be someone like a teacher who receives the survey during the summer time, someone out on maternity leave, or someone who works with some kind of agency who constantly have long project-based work with breaks in between projects (actors, construction workers, writers, etc.). These people have jobs, just not currently "at work"

3 .Unemployed - this is someone who is actively looking for a job

4 .Armed forces, at work
    5 .Armed forces, with a job but not at work - similar to esr=2, currently on leave but are in the armed forces

6 .Not in labor force - this is the retirees, students, homemakers, people not actively looking for work.

COW (Class of worker) - describing the relationship to the employer.

b .N/A (less than 16 years old/NILF who last worked more than 5 years ago or never worked)
    1 .Employee of a private for-profit company or business, or of an individual, for wages, salary, or commissions
    2 .Employee of a private not-for-profit, tax-exempt, or charitable organization
    3 .Local government employee (city, county, etc.)
    4 .State government employee
    5 .Federal government employee
    6 .Self-employed in own not incorporated business, professional practice, or farm
    7 .Self-employed in own incorporated business, professional practice or farm
    8 .Working without pay in family business or farm
    9 .Unemployed and last worked 5 years ago or earlier or never worked

Hopefully this is helpful!
    -Diana

[Updated on 4/16/2015 1:41 PM]
  • Hi Jess,

My guess is that if you're getting people with ESR=6 and COW = 1, then these are people who recently unemployed or separated from the labor force (

I did some analyses with TX PUMS data on the last job of those who are now unemployed (ESR = 3), but the OCCP and SOCP variables are the current occupation for those who are employed/the last occupation for those who are currently unemployed/NILF. COW is similar in that it's more the sector/employer type of current/last job rather than current employment status. OCCP = 9920 are those who last worked 5 or more years ago, but you can still get information on those who last worked more recently than 5 years ago. I would think it's the same for COW.

Here's my understanding of the two variables:

ESR (Employment status recode) - describing the person.

b .N/A (less than 16 years old)
    1 .Civilian employed, at work
    2 .Civilian employed, with a job but not at work - this could be someone like a teacher who receives the survey during the summer time, someone out on maternity leave, or someone who works with some kind of agency who constantly have long project-based work with breaks in between projects (actors, construction workers, writers, etc.). These people have jobs, just not currently "at work"

3 .Unemployed - this is someone who is actively looking for a job

4 .Armed forces, at work
    5 .Armed forces, with a job but not at work - similar to esr=2, currently on leave but are in the armed forces

6 .Not in labor force - this is the retirees, students, homemakers, people not actively looking for work.

COW (Class of worker) - describing the relationship to the employer.

b .N/A (less than 16 years old/NILF who last worked more than 5 years ago or never worked)
    1 .Employee of a private for-profit company or business, or of an individual, for wages, salary, or commissions
    2 .Employee of a private not-for-profit, tax-exempt, or charitable organization
    3 .Local government employee (city, county, etc.)
    4 .State government employee
    5 .Federal government employee
    6 .Self-employed in own not incorporated business, professional practice, or farm
    7 .Self-employed in own incorporated business, professional practice or farm
    8 .Working without pay in family business or farm
    9 .Unemployed and last worked 5 years ago or earlier or never worked

Hopefully this is helpful!
    -Diana

[Updated on 4/16/2015 1:41 PM]
Children
No Data