ESR vs COW

Hi All,

As a means of a data check as I'm not very familiar with the employment variables I created an unweighted crosstabulation of the variables Class of worker (COW) and Employment Status Recode (ESR) in the Rhode Island 2013 1-year persons PUMS file.

When I do this I find many cases that fall into a category where Employment Status Recode (ESR) = 6 - not in the labor force AND Class of Worker (COW) = 1 - Employee of a private for-profit company or business, or of an individual, for wages, salary, or commissions

I understand that in the COW variable Not in the labor force is listed as someone who has not been in labor force for 5 years or longer. So why are the cases listed as ESR = 6 instead of ESR = 2 or 5 which are civilian/armed forces job but not currently at work?

I'm clearly missing something here - anyone have any advice?

Thanks! Jess
Parents
  • Thanks, Diana. This is helpful. I think that where my confusion lies is that the definition of Not in the labor Force appears to be different in ESR from COW and that they are fundamentally looking at different things.

For what it's worth the ESR=Unemployed and COW=1 is 313 unweighted cases whereas the ESR=6 and COW=1 is 629 unweighted cases out of 6759. (Small counts compared to TX I'm sure, but this is RI :))

Have you worked with these questions at all? Seem to be reasons for unemployment.
    NWLA
    NWAB
    NWAV
    NWLK
    NWRE

[Updated on 4/16/2015 3:18 PM]
  • Thanks, Diana. This is helpful. I think that where my confusion lies is that the definition of Not in the labor Force appears to be different in ESR from COW and that they are fundamentally looking at different things.

For what it's worth the ESR=Unemployed and COW=1 is 313 unweighted cases whereas the ESR=6 and COW=1 is 629 unweighted cases out of 6759. (Small counts compared to TX I'm sure, but this is RI :))

Have you worked with these questions at all? Seem to be reasons for unemployment.
    NWLA
    NWAB
    NWAV
    NWLK
    NWRE

[Updated on 4/16/2015 3:18 PM]
Children
No Data