Statistically comparing estimates

Hi All,

I've been doing some research on this and I can't seem to find a clear answer.

I want to use 2014-2019 ACS data to see if there is a statistically significant difference in poverty rates between Cook County and the state of Illinois.  So, I would be comparing Illinois as a whole to a smaller part of Illinois.  

I know how to use the Census Bureau's statistical testing tool, but what is the correct method of calculating statistically significant differences?  Is it appropriate to statistically compare two geographic units that overlap a bit?  Or would a better alternative be comparing Cook County to a statewide poverty estimate from which Cook County has been removed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Parents
  • Hi Bill,

This is a good question and I don't have a good answer. I checked with my colleagues at PRB and we are not aware of any Census Bureau guidance on this issue. However, at PRB we often make these kinds of comparisons--not just across geographic areas but also comparing estimates for population subgroups with that of a total, which seems like a similar exercise. 

• Hi Bill,

This is a good question and I don't have a good answer. I checked with my colleagues at PRB and we are not aware of any Census Bureau guidance on this issue. However, at PRB we often make these kinds of comparisons--not just across geographic areas but also comparing estimates for population subgroups with that of a total, which seems like a similar exercise. 

Children