Poverty Data Prior to 2009 at Census Tract

Hello,

I am attempting to find poverty data at the census tract level prior to 2009. I have been able to use the ACS 5-Year estimates to pull the data for various counties in Texas, but I would ideally like poverty data at the census tract level (or close to that) for prior years. I understand that the census tracts shift sometimes, but I can only find poverty data at the county level prior to 2009. Any suggestions on where I might be able to find data that is a little closer to the census tract level in regards to poverty? I am also open to using other factors to measure items similar to poverty (e.g., average rent, home value, etc.)

Thank you!
Colton C. Strawser
colton.strawser@uta.edu 

Parents
  • Hi, Colton. I'm weighing in on a whim here, as I am in the policy arena and not a researcher or analyst. The ACS was not fully implemented until 2005 (and Group Quarters were not added until 2006), which explains why you can't find tract level estimates prior to 2009, as those require five years of averaged data. The Census Bureau did collect data through what I'll call a transitional sample, which grew over time into the full ACS, starting in the late 1990s, which I think explains why there were some data available at the county level prior to 2009, at least for areas in the "test" sample.

Others, please feel free to weigh in if I got something wrong here!

Terri Ann Lowenthal

• Hi, Colton. I'm weighing in on a whim here, as I am in the policy arena and not a researcher or analyst. The ACS was not fully implemented until 2005 (and Group Quarters were not added until 2006), which explains why you can't find tract level estimates prior to 2009, as those require five years of averaged data. The Census Bureau did collect data through what I'll call a transitional sample, which grew over time into the full ACS, starting in the late 1990s, which I think explains why there were some data available at the county level prior to 2009, at least for areas in the "test" sample.

Others, please feel free to weigh in if I got something wrong here!

Terri Ann Lowenthal

Children
No Data