Impact of Migration on Poverty

We are currently working on a poverty study, and have observed that the percentage of residents migrating to our county and migrating away from it are different than the percentage of residents below the poverty threshold in our community. Does anyone know if there is a way to determine how this migration potentially impacts the overall poverty rate?
Parents
  • From what I've read nationally, poverty has been concentrating in some communities because low-income people from the surrounding communities have been moving to be closer to jobs and services or displaced from gentrifying urban areas. Our poverty rate has been increasing by about one percentage point a year on average. What I would want to know in an ideal world is whether or not the rate would be rising if everyone theoretically stayed put.

We are looking at the poverty rate as part of a larger study on poverty in which we are trying to help our community identify potential intervention strategies. We need to be able to identify how in- and out-migration are influencing the poverty rate because the way that the community intervenes might differ depending on whether the problem is that people who have been growing up here are becoming poor or if the poverty rate is increasing because low-income people are moving here and high-income people are moving out.

To the best of my knowledge there are tables for both in fact-finder, which is what I've been working off of. But, I'm open to using the PUMs if that data's more flexible for this purpose.
  • From what I've read nationally, poverty has been concentrating in some communities because low-income people from the surrounding communities have been moving to be closer to jobs and services or displaced from gentrifying urban areas. Our poverty rate has been increasing by about one percentage point a year on average. What I would want to know in an ideal world is whether or not the rate would be rising if everyone theoretically stayed put.

We are looking at the poverty rate as part of a larger study on poverty in which we are trying to help our community identify potential intervention strategies. We need to be able to identify how in- and out-migration are influencing the poverty rate because the way that the community intervenes might differ depending on whether the problem is that people who have been growing up here are becoming poor or if the poverty rate is increasing because low-income people are moving here and high-income people are moving out.

To the best of my knowledge there are tables for both in fact-finder, which is what I've been working off of. But, I'm open to using the PUMs if that data's more flexible for this purpose.
Children
No Data