List of Variable Names to Build a Simple State Level Panel using the ACS1 2010-2019

Hi All,

Does anyone have a list of variable names that would help me identify the median age, sex of population (in percent), median household income, and race (in percentages) for each state from 2010-2019 (or even earlier if that is possible)?  There are a lot of variable names, and I wanted to check this forum to see if there were a few that were predominantly used in research.  If there are any other important state level variables you would suggest to use, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any support you may provide!  For reference, I and querying the API using tidycensus.

Regards,

Joseph Navelski

Parents
  • Adam, thanks for your response!   I think I am starting to understand how these variables are grouped.  MEDIAN AGE BY SEX Total, is total median age for both sexes combined.  This is making more sense.

Thanks Adam!

• This is true for most of the ACS tables, they are often broken down by an additional variable and have to be aggregated to create a desired analysis table.

To take your example, searching for "Median Age" led me to table B01002, "Median Age by Sex":

B01002   MEDIAN AGE BY SEX
    B01002   Universe:  Total population
    B01002 0.5 Median age --
    B01002 1 B01002_001 Total:
    B01002 2 B01002_002 Male
    B01002 3 B01002_003 Female

This gives you a median age value for the entire population for a given geography (B01002_001) along with the breakdown by sex.  In some cases, such as Table B01001, you have to add variables together to get a total.  For example, to get the total number of children under 5, you need to add B01001_003E + B01001_027E.  You also have to calculate a revised margin of error --Look in the technical docs to see how to do this.

Unfortunately, THERE IS NO WAY AROUND THIS TYPE OF DATA PROCESSING.  Learning how to manipulate the table cells published by the Census Bureau is an essential skill.  

Good luck with your project.

AB

• Hi AB,

Just wanted to continue this feed as a have narrowed it down to a list of variables I am interested in.  As per your recommendation, should I share the code names I found on this forum, or would that not be advised?

Thank you for your feedback!

Regards,

J

• Hi AB,

Just wanted to continue this feed as a have narrowed it down to a list of variables I am interested in.  As per your recommendation, should I share the code names I found on this forum, or would that not be advised?

Thank you for your feedback!

Regards,

J

Children
No Data