Estimating downtown populations

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project to estimate the number of people living in downtown. One of the first goals is for downtown organizations to better understand and serve its residents (e.g., a downtown residents council). We will certainly use Census 2010 count as a base line but given the new developments and undercounts of some vulnerable population, we will have to find other creative ways (e.g. utilities) that will get us closer to those numbers. Does anyone know of strategies, examples or resources of a similar project?

Best,
Gustavo.
Parents
  • Yes, I have discussed with the project team the geography question and aligning their boundaries to census geographies (census tracts). I still yet to receive the final boundary specs but they seemed open to the idea of adjusting boundaries. As soon as I get the boundary specs for the project, I intend to see how it aligns with census. PUMAs are quite large (4 for the county including 1 PUMA for the City of Grand Rapids. My assumption at this point is that they will be less inclined to use that large of a geography for the project. I am also looking into certificates of occupancy as one proxy for occupancy.
  • Yes, I have discussed with the project team the geography question and aligning their boundaries to census geographies (census tracts). I still yet to receive the final boundary specs but they seemed open to the idea of adjusting boundaries. As soon as I get the boundary specs for the project, I intend to see how it aligns with census. PUMAs are quite large (4 for the county including 1 PUMA for the City of Grand Rapids. My assumption at this point is that they will be less inclined to use that large of a geography for the project. I am also looking into certificates of occupancy as one proxy for occupancy.
Children
No Data