Estimating downtown populations

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project to estimate the number of people living in downtown. One of the first goals is for downtown organizations to better understand and serve its residents (e.g., a downtown residents council). We will certainly use Census 2010 count as a base line but given the new developments and undercounts of some vulnerable population, we will have to find other creative ways (e.g. utilities) that will get us closer to those numbers. Does anyone know of strategies, examples or resources of a similar project?

Best,
Gustavo.
Parents
  • I should have been clearer about how to count new units. If you do not have detailed local knowledge about development since the 2010 Census, rather than building permits issued, I would use certificates of occupancy for completed structures as the source of the data.

[Updated on 3/25/2015 7:50 AM]
  • I should have been clearer about how to count new units. If you do not have detailed local knowledge about development since the 2010 Census, rather than building permits issued, I would use certificates of occupancy for completed structures as the source of the data.

[Updated on 3/25/2015 7:50 AM]
Children
No Data