Residency status in ACS? Mapping ACS data to IPEDS race/ethnicity/international categories

Hi!

My main question here is: is there data on residency status (permanent vs. temporary resident) in the ACS? And if not, is there a good analogue or rule of thumb?

I'm working on a demographics comparison project in higher ed, where the goal is to put our university population demographics - students, faculty, and staff - into context both with other schools (using Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, or IPEDS, data) and with our broader local community (using ACS data) at the state, county, and city level.

A possible issue here is that IPEDS categorizes race, ethnicity, and citizenship a bit idiosyncratically into mutually-exclusive groups. For US citizens and permanent residents, populations are reported by race or ethnicity (Hispanic or Latino/a trumping the race categories), but temporary residents (and other non-citizens) are reported as "Nonresident". So, some non-citizens are included with US citizens, and some non-citizens are not. However, when digging through ACS data tables, I haven't found anything that specifically distinguishes between permanent residents and other non-citizens.

So, I'm wondering whether this is a known issue, and/or whether there is already an accepted or standard way to deal with this. If residency status isn't covered by the ACS, is there a good analogue for it? For instance, is it sensible to count all non-US citizens as "international" in this context, or could I segment by period of entry in a logical fashion? The latter appears to be the method DHS uses, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate in general.

Thanks very much; I'd appreciate any insight or advice!