Fact Sheet: "what is a housing unit? what is a group quarters?"

FYI: If you are interested in "what is a housing unit? what is a group quarters?": there is a short explainer here: https://metrocouncil.org/Handbook/Files/Resources/Fact-Sheet/LAND-USE/Housing-Unit-vs-Group-Quarter.aspx  The explainer is written for city planners; researchers and demographers can use it also.

This month, I updated this explainer to include the most recent (2020 Census) clarifications and documentation links.

I expect Census Bureau staff will say that there is no recent change in its definitions -- but 2020 Census Technical Documentation did clarify some nuances and gray areas – for example: when hotel rooms are housing units vs. a group quarters vs. commercial buildings (not housing at all).

Bookmark/share this if it’s useful to you.

Cheers,

Todd Graham

Metropolitan Council Research

Parents
  • This is great, thanks Todd!  I was explaining to a colleague once that a lot of Halfway Houses are in regular neighborhoods and look just like any other single-family detached house from the outside, but they're a Group Quarters facility.

Personal opinion here: They are one of the safest types of neighbors you can have since a lot of the residents have curfews, are going through rehab, and generally have some type of supervision. No need to fear a Halfway House in your neighborhood.

• This is great, thanks Todd!  I was explaining to a colleague once that a lot of Halfway Houses are in regular neighborhoods and look just like any other single-family detached house from the outside, but they're a Group Quarters facility.

Personal opinion here: They are one of the safest types of neighbors you can have since a lot of the residents have curfews, are going through rehab, and generally have some type of supervision. No need to fear a Halfway House in your neighborhood.

Children
No Data