Mapping 5 Year Data

I’m wondering if there’s a best practice for reporting on/mapping the 5 year data with such wide margins of error, such as a 24.7% poverty rate w/ an MOE of +/-36.2, or even 0% poverty rate w/ an MOE of +/-28. For example, is there an MOE threshold that we could establish as too high to report on (leaving many counties in our map without data). This seems especially tricky when looking at differences between groups – such as difference between white and black poverty rates - when one race/ethnicity has a higher MOE than the other
Parents
  • Hello, the way I have approached this problem on a census tract level in a county is to group geographies by ones that have no statistically significant differences within the group. I then end up with a number of groupings where I can say these census tracts (geographies) all have the highest (or lowest, etc) % of the population in poverty in the county. Unfortunately, it take a fair bit of calculation to get there, but I feel allows easier interpretation of the data.
  • Hello, the way I have approached this problem on a census tract level in a county is to group geographies by ones that have no statistically significant differences within the group. I then end up with a number of groupings where I can say these census tracts (geographies) all have the highest (or lowest, etc) % of the population in poverty in the county. Unfortunately, it take a fair bit of calculation to get there, but I feel allows easier interpretation of the data.
Children
No Data