TIGER2021 Census Tract Shapefiles vs. FFIEC.gov Census Flat File

Hi All,

I'm glad I found this forum, have a question for a current project that I'm working on.

A discrepancy in the total number of Census Tracts comparing:

This analysis only includes Census Tracts within the 50 states and DC.

For the 50 states + DC, there are:

• 84414 Census Tracts in the TIGER2021 Shapefiles.
  • 74771 Census Tracts in the FFIEC.gov 2021 Census Flat File.
  • These two sources only have 61638 Census Tracts in common for the 50 states + DC.

Objectives:

1. Retrieve the Census Flat File columns for all the unmatched Census Tracts in the TIGER2021 Shapefiles.
  2. Retrieve the Shapefiles for all the unmatched Census Tracts in the FFIEC.gov 2021 Census Flat File.

Thanks,

CJ

Parents
  • Hi CJ--

The 74K numbers sounds a lot like the number of tracts up to 2020.  You should check and see if the supposed 2021 tracts actually match the 2019, which are the 2010 tracts with a few edits.

Andy

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response.

I need the Shapefiles to calculate the Census Tract centroids, and this is the only source for the Shapefiles that I can find:

www2.census.gov/.../

The TIGER2021 Shapefiles yield the 84414 Census Tracts mentioned above.

I’m seeking a better source for the latest Census Tract Shapefiles, if the link above is the wrong one.

Thank you,

CJ

• Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your response.

I need the Shapefiles to calculate the Census Tract centroids, and this is the only source for the Shapefiles that I can find:

www2.census.gov/.../

The TIGER2021 Shapefiles yield the 84414 Census Tracts mentioned above.

I’m seeking a better source for the latest Census Tract Shapefiles, if the link above is the wrong one.

Thank you,

CJ

Children