TIGER2021 Census Tract Shapefiles vs. FFIEC.gov Census Flat File

Hi All,

I'm glad I found this forum, have a question for a current project that I'm working on.

A discrepancy in the total number of Census Tracts comparing:

This analysis only includes Census Tracts within the 50 states and DC.

For the 50 states + DC, there are:

• 84414 Census Tracts in the TIGER2021 Shapefiles.
  • 74771 Census Tracts in the FFIEC.gov 2021 Census Flat File.
  • These two sources only have 61638 Census Tracts in common for the 50 states + DC.

Objectives:

1. Retrieve the Census Flat File columns for all the unmatched Census Tracts in the TIGER2021 Shapefiles.
  2. Retrieve the Shapefiles for all the unmatched Census Tracts in the FFIEC.gov 2021 Census Flat File.

Thanks,

CJ

Parents
  • Andy Beveridge <andy@socialexplorer.com>

6:32 AM (39 minutes ago)
    to American

Dear CJ--

According to the FFIEC documentation, they are using the 2011 to 2015 ACS, probably actually updated.  Those tracts are the 2010 tracts which are being used for the ACS through 2019.  They are using the ACS for their info.  They could not switch to the 2020 tracts until the ACS 2016-2020 is released, which will probably be in early March.  That is the problem you have.  The Tract data from the Census Bureau for the 2010 blocks does have Centroid data for the tracts build in.  

You should read the FFIEC documentation about what years of the ACS 5 year file they are actually using.  The actual file that is out is the 2015-2019,  I don't if this is a research project or what you are doing.  

I would be happy to talk to you.  If you send me an email with your phone number.  

Andy

• Andy Beveridge <andy@socialexplorer.com>

6:32 AM (39 minutes ago)
    to American

Dear CJ--

According to the FFIEC documentation, they are using the 2011 to 2015 ACS, probably actually updated.  Those tracts are the 2010 tracts which are being used for the ACS through 2019.  They are using the ACS for their info.  They could not switch to the 2020 tracts until the ACS 2016-2020 is released, which will probably be in early March.  That is the problem you have.  The Tract data from the Census Bureau for the 2010 blocks does have Centroid data for the tracts build in.  

You should read the FFIEC documentation about what years of the ACS 5 year file they are actually using.  The actual file that is out is the 2015-2019,  I don't if this is a research project or what you are doing.  

I would be happy to talk to you.  If you send me an email with your phone number.  

Andy

Children
No Data