Tenure by income by race by county

Hello everybody!

I am trying to quantify housing tenure by income by race by county. I already downloaded S2503 (tenure by income by county for all counties in California); however, my professor asked us to show the analysis including race. I.e., we need to be able to show the % of white, black, etc., for different income brackets that are renters or owners.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to merge these datasets (which tables should I download?) to be able to show the analysis he requested? Is it possible?

I appreciate your support!!!!

Parents
  • Welcome Juan!

B25003A through B25003I are the race-iterations of the main owner vs. renter table (B25003). Some notes:

• Decide for yourself if B25003A vs. B25003H are best for your needs (white vs. non-Hispanic white). The other race groups don't have these two table options. (For example, B25003B includes both Hispanic and non-Hispanic Black or African American, etc.)
    • The race here is of the "householder" - a person in whose name the unit is leased/bought/mortgaged/etc. and who answers the form as "person 1."  Interracial households can be a coinflip as to which table they show up in.

As far as tenure by income, the simplest table is B25118.

I am not aware of a table for housing tenure by income by race. You might have to go to PUMS for this.

Best of luck on your project.

-Diana

• Juan:

Diana's recommendations are totally spot-on / correct. A county level tabulation on households by owner/renter tenure by race/ethnicity of householder by household income level, is just not (directly) available from the ACS.

I would recommend using iPUMS to obtain your data (ACS 2015-2019, 5 years PUMS). You could re-code race/ethnicity of householder into black/non-hispanic, white/non-hispanic, hispanic (any race), etc, and recode household income levels to whatever income groups make sense.

Geography in PUMS is tricky. The iPUMS people have done an amazing job: you can obtain PUMS data for LARGE counties (100,000+) population where the PUMAs nest within counties. So, you can get county-level PUMS estimates for the 34 largest counties in California. The other 24 counties in California are grouped together in what I call 7 super-counties (e.g., Mendocino + Lake Counties; Monterey + San Benito Counties.)

iPUMS is an amazing, wonderful resource. I wish it was around when I started my career 40 years ago!!

• Juan:

Diana's recommendations are totally spot-on / correct. A county level tabulation on households by owner/renter tenure by race/ethnicity of householder by household income level, is just not (directly) available from the ACS.

I would recommend using iPUMS to obtain your data (ACS 2015-2019, 5 years PUMS). You could re-code race/ethnicity of householder into black/non-hispanic, white/non-hispanic, hispanic (any race), etc, and recode household income levels to whatever income groups make sense.

Geography in PUMS is tricky. The iPUMS people have done an amazing job: you can obtain PUMS data for LARGE counties (100,000+) population where the PUMAs nest within counties. So, you can get county-level PUMS estimates for the 34 largest counties in California. The other 24 counties in California are grouped together in what I call 7 super-counties (e.g., Mendocino + Lake Counties; Monterey + San Benito Counties.)

iPUMS is an amazing, wonderful resource. I wish it was around when I started my career 40 years ago!!

Children