advice on accessing place or county subdivision summary files from the 2005 1-Year ACS

I'm trying to obtain ACS 1-Year tables from 2005. Specifically, I'm looking for table B03002 (Hispanic or Latino origin by race) for either county subdivisions or places. The Census documentation says tables should be available for places with populations of 65,000 or more.

IPUMS NHGIS only provides 1-Year ACS data beginning in 2010. Data.census.gov appears to be similarly limited.

I tried using R's {{tidycensus}} package, but I get an empty error message.

> Error: Your API call has errors.  The API message returned is .

I think the data is available on the Census ACS FTP site, but all the files appear to require some kind of SAS program, and I'm totally unfamiliar with that software. Some googling around didn't quickly reveal a straightforward way to read these files into R.

My questions are:

1) Am I correct that 1-Year ACS tables from 2005-09 are indeed available for sub-county geographies with populations of 65,000 or more?

2) If yes, do you know of a direct way to obtain these files? Perhaps an R package for reading Census FTP files into R?

3) Given that neither IPUMS NHGIS or data.census.gov provide easy access to these files, is there some concern about reliability I should be aware of?

Thanks! Any information you may have is greatly appreciated.