Block Groups with very large populations

I'm looking at ACS 5YR 2019 vintage and its B01001e1 population estimates.

Population looks nicely distributed between  few hundred and a few thousand people.

Except, there are several block groups with more than 20,000 people and a few with more than 50,000.

Does anyone know a rule or definition that explains these extremely large block groups?

For example:
                          380170405002 Cass County, North Dakota - outside Fargo
                          481576729001 Fort Bend County, Texas - outside Houston
                          121199112001 Sumter County, Florida - includes The Villages
                          060730187001 San Diego County, California - includes San Diego

Parents
  • just from experience in Florida in 2000 you could have a small portion of a block in the Everglades turn into multiple tracts in the next decade if it were developed. So that part’s not surprising to me near the end of a decade in a fast growing area like The Villages 

• just from experience in Florida in 2000 you could have a small portion of a block in the Everglades turn into multiple tracts in the next decade if it were developed. So that part’s not surprising to me near the end of a decade in a fast growing area like The Villages 

Children
No Data