Where can i find 2020 Census Data at ZTCA or ZipCode

I'm performing research with queries primarily based on Race vs Population vs Household Income at the Zipcode or ZTCA level.  Is this data available yet from the 2020 Census and if so, where can we find it?

• Hi. I don't believe ZCTA data has been released yet for the 2020 Census; there's a discussion here of what you can use: https://acsdatacommunity.prb.org/discussion-forum/f/forum/813/2020-census-data-by-zip-code/

That said, ACS data is probably a better fit, since ZCTA data is natively available, and crucially, because household income is in the ACS, but not part of the decennial. Here's a link to the household income ZCTA data at data.census.gov: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?t=Income%20and%20Poverty&g=0100000US%248600000&y=2020&d=ACS%205-Year%20Estimates%20Detailed%20Tables&tid=ACSDT5Y2020.B19001. There are also breakdowns of household income by race.

Note that ZCTA data in the ACS comes as a 5-year estimate, and the most recent data is 2016-2020.

• I'm still seeing ZCTA as an option for PL94 data at NHGIS at ipums.org -- it offers 2020 numbers as parts of time series -- screen shot below. I have downloaded and used these file and they do have values by ZCTA for 2020 

• Yes, thanks, Tim. Importantly, these "2020 ZCTA data" appear only in the NHGIS time series tables that are "standardized to 2010"... This means that NHGIS does not provide 2020 census data for the new 2020 ZCTAs; it does only for ZCTAs as they were defined in 2010.

(The NHGIS standardized time series reallocate 2020 block level data to 10 levels of 2010 units, including tracts, block groups, places, etc., as well as ZCTAs.)

Without knowing how much ZCTAs change from one census to another, it's hard to say whether 2020 data for 2010 ZCTAs would be effective for an analysis of "current" ZIP codes. It might work well, or it might not, depending on the specific analysis and the scope of ZCTA changes in the area of interest.

• You probably already know this but.. do keep in mind that zip codes are created to deliver mail and not really a great geography for doing data analysis. If you have the option, I'd suggest using Census geography like tracts or block groups. 

here's a nice article from a few years back:
    towardsdatascience.com/stop-using-zip-codes-for-geospatial-analysis-ceacb6e80c38

• this makes a lot of sense and thanks for the insight

• This is true but there are many cases where zip code is important in itself. Change of address and real estate data is often aggregated that way. And the truth is, your house is worth more or less in some zip codes so it makes sense

• While it is true that census geographies are preferred by technical users, it appears that for presentation to popular audiences zipcodes are immediately recognizable and understood. However, one should bear in mind the difference in geography sizes with c. 46k zip codes versus 73K census tracts. One option to deal with this difference is to give information using ZCTAs but use GIS to show a thematic map within the ZCTA showing either tracts or block groups - highlighting differences within the ZCTA.

• I find that most people who don't do the kind of work we do are not familiar with most geographies which aren't states, counties or municipalities, so using those as references often makes sense. It also makes sense to incorporate whichever census geographies are relevant to the discussion. I wouldn't add a Zip based geography unless it was necessary. Landmarks are better cues than zip codes most of the time.

• I agree with David.: only use ZIP or ZCTA as a last resort.
    And other pro-tips: If what one is publishing or presenting can include graphics -- then include maps! And maps of block groups will look so much nicer than maps of ZIP codes (which are bizarrely shaped). 
    On the other hand, if what one wants to publish has no maps -- but is a list, or some kind of look-up tool -- then the geographic units would have to be what the audience knows. So I often prepare tables with cities or towns named. 
    If the report or web resource was for somewhere with a large city (a city that is >100 square miles), then I recommend one "roll up" and summarize data into sub-city neighborhoods -- again mindful of what the audience knows.
    A great example here in Mpls-St Paul is the Wilder Foundation's MNCompass project. MNCompass regularly assembles socioec data into neighborhoods or districts. www.mncompass.org/.../minneapolis-saint-paul
    This gets good audience response because (again) people mostly know what neighborhood they live in -- even if they don't know their census tract number. 
    --Todd Graham
      Metropolitan Council Research