Households at or below 200% FPL

Hi,

I am trying to identify a table listing the number of households at and below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.

I need this for counties, so an ACS table would be preferable.

Sorry if this is too obvious.

TIA

• B17026 RATIO OF INCOME TO POVERTY LEVEL OF FAMILIES IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS

...but that's families, not households. I don't know if this is available by household.

• Thanks Glenn,

I'll see if this makes sense.  

Cheers

AB

• Hi Adam - Just out of curiosity, are you looking to estimate eligibility for the Affordable Connectivity Program? I ask because 200% of the FPL is the guideline for eligibility and that's something I've been working on lately. Let me know if you'd like to chat about it sometime. 

Christine

• Dear Adam,

To comment on Glenn's comment. I've just been through a round with the people at the Census on reconciling "below poverty" from the PUMS with "below poverty" for table B17001.  Poverty is not defined for households only for families which includes only people in the household who are related to the "head of household."  For example a renter not related to the family is not included in the calculation and is not part of the "universe." For the calculation with partial details see: https://www.census.gov/topics/income-poverty/poverty/guidance/poverty-measures.html.   You add up the income for all family members and then apply the formula which is based on total family income, number of family members and number of children.  Here is the email that I just received from the people at the Census: (regarding matching numbers from B17001 and the calculation using the PUMS variables POVPIP RELSHIPP TYPEHUGQ AGEP.

Hi David,
    According to the poverty subject matter experts, "It is possible that they [PUMS and B17001] are not matching because the poverty universe excludes a few more types of populations  1. children under the age of 15 who are not related to the householder 2. people living in institutional group quarters (nursing homes and correctional facilities) 3. people living in college dormitories 4. people living in military barracks. Perhaps by excluding all not in the universe he will be closer, that being said we have confidence in the estimates he mentions from 2020. The estimate 120,888 is within the moe of the PUMA that can be seen S1701 (120,938) on data.census.gov, so we have confidence in it."
    Let me know if this helps or not David. 
    Vicki