Households at or below 200% FPL

Hi,

I am trying to identify a table listing the number of households at and below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.

I need this for counties, so an ACS table would be preferable.

Sorry if this is too obvious.

TIA

Parents
  • Hi Adam - Just out of curiosity, are you looking to estimate eligibility for the Affordable Connectivity Program? I ask because 200% of the FPL is the guideline for eligibility and that's something I've been working on lately. Let me know if you'd like to chat about it sometime. 

Christine

• Dear Adam,

To comment on Glenn's comment. I've just been through a round with the people at the Census on reconciling "below poverty" from the PUMS with "below poverty" for table B17001.  Poverty is not defined for households only for families which includes only people in the household who are related to the "head of household."  For example a renter not related to the family is not included in the calculation and is not part of the "universe." For the calculation with partial details see: https://www.census.gov/topics/income-poverty/poverty/guidance/poverty-measures.html.   You add up the income for all family members and then apply the formula which is based on total family income, number of family members and number of children.  Here is the email that I just received from the people at the Census: (regarding matching numbers from B17001 and the calculation using the PUMS variables POVPIP RELSHIPP TYPEHUGQ AGEP.

Hi David,
    According to the poverty subject matter experts, "It is possible that they [PUMS and B17001] are not matching because the poverty universe excludes a few more types of populations  1. children under the age of 15 who are not related to the householder 2. people living in institutional group quarters (nursing homes and correctional facilities) 3. people living in college dormitories 4. people living in military barracks. Perhaps by excluding all not in the universe he will be closer, that being said we have confidence in the estimates he mentions from 2020. The estimate 120,888 is within the moe of the PUMA that can be seen S1701 (120,938) on data.census.gov, so we have confidence in it."
    Let me know if this helps or not David. 
    Vicki 
  • How can I get children age 18 below percent by race in a county, say Palm beach county Florida.  

• PL94 data would have that for 2020. Download at https://www.nhgis.org

• Dear Jin,

Table S1702 (ACS 5 year vintage 2021) has household at various poverty "levels"  (including 200%) at the county geography.

Dave

• Oh this is about poverty! Never mind 

Reply Children
  • Dear Tim and Jin,

I knew that 200% poverty level was somewhere because I've used it. I looked in the 2020 PL-94-171 and was scratching my head. 

The early parts of this thread were about how to get 200% poverty level at the tract geo.  In which case I used a Small Area Estimation (SAE)  synthetic estimate (like indirect adjustment AGExSEXxRACExPOVERTY_LEVEL) based on the PUMS data for the PUMA that contains the tract being the "large area" Age x Sex x Race from the B01001 series tables at the tract level. 

But in this case S1702 exists for counties so you don't need to do any "twists and turns" to get a number. S1702 also exists at the "Place" CSD (county subdivision) for some of the larger CSDs.

Dave

• A few more items,

The ACS 2021 5 year tables do go down to the tract level.  The 2021 1 year ACS is as above (county some CSDs) So you don't need SAE for tracts if you use 5 year ACS data. S1702 has

50, 100, 125, 150. 185, 200., 300, 400,500 percent of poverty for "families"  Not sure how that is different from households.

Dave

• I looked up household and family.

Here is how it works.  The ACS surveys housing units.  Each housing unit has a householder. The family consists of only people who are related to the householder. So families are smaller (or equal to)  households. You need to look at the ACS survey form. For poverty level you make the calculation for only the family part of the household.  You take the total family income and then look up the poverty level for the number of people and number of children in the family.  The table does not depend on where you are in the country. www.census.gov/.../historical-poverty-thresholds.html

There is a person 1 (the householder ?) on the survey form. The question is:

Person 1 is the person living or staying here in whose
    name this house or apartment is owned, being bought,
    or rented. If there is no such person, start with the name
    of any adult living or staying here.

Dave